Things to teach your son
I was going through some things on my ever-filling hard drive. I’m not sure where I picked this up, but I’m pleased to find that I did at least try to teach most of these to my son. Unfortunately, I never learned a few of them myself until it was too late. There’s a few I might still manage to learn. Make of them what you will.
INSTRUCTIONS/RULES TO TEACH YOUR SON
- Never shake a man’s hand sitting down.
- Don’t enter a pool by the stairs.
- The man at the BBQ Grill is the closest thing to a king.
- In a negotiation, never make the first offer.
- Request the late check-out.
- When entrusted with a secret, keep it.
- Hold your heroes to a higher standard.
- Return a borrowed car with a full tank of gas.
- Play with passion or don’t play at all…
- When shaking hands, grip firmly and look them in the eye.
- Don’t let a wishbone grow where a backbone should be.
- If you need music on the beach, you’re missing the point.
- Carry two handkerchiefs. The one in your back pocket is for you. The one in your breast pocket is for her.
- You marry the girl, you marry her family.
- Be like a duck. Remain calm on the surface and paddle like crazy underneath.
- Experience the serenity of traveling alone.
- Never be afraid to ask out the best-looking girl in the room.
- Never turn down a breath mint.
- A sport coat is worth 1000 words.
- Try writing your own eulogy. Never stop revising.
- Thank a veteran. Then make it up to him.
- Eat lunch with the new kid.
- After writing an angry email, read it carefully. Then delete it.
- Ask your mom to play. She won’t let you win.
- Manners maketh the man.
- Give credit. Take the blame.
- Stand up to Bullies. Protect those bullied.
- Write down your dreams.
- Take time to snuggle your pets, they love you so much and are always happy to see you.
- Be confident and humble at the same time.
- If ever in doubt, remember whose son you are and REFUSE to just be ordinary!
- In all things lead by example not explanation.