There are days
There are days, as my sainted mother would have said, that “just make your ass tired.” Hey, my momma could swear like a sailor. I’ve seen her cuss a lawnmower that wouldn’t run until it started out of fear. True story.
Saturday, August 13, was one of those days. I had to go into work today on what is normally a day off, which just kind of starts the day off with suck. Nominally, I went in to help out with processing returning students at Podunk University. But seeing as how we were having some problems with a fairly critical part of our computing infrastructure, I wound up pretty much begging off, heading to my office and calling tech support with a Severity 1 case. Not a big deal, anything needed for the returning students they could text me for–it was just password resets, and not many of those. I’m usually there to be a highly paid security blanket, except I don’t get paid for this, being a salaried employee. And I hate giving out freebies.
So after an 8 1/2 hour marathon call, we got the critical part of infrastructure squared away. We also found out that another critical piece of infrastructure is pretty well screwed to hell and gone, and it’s going to have to be taken care of soon. Maybe we can baby it until fall break. At which point we’ll have to break our network to fix it. Yay us. I’d like to kill one of my old server admins who came up with the fool idea that caused all this.
So I get home and take Mrs. Freeholder out for supper. She had spent the day doing laundry and cleaning house. She’s going to the beach with a girlfriend next week, and I think she’s afraid I’ll get hit by a bus and not have clean underwear on. At any rate, having done such things myself, I appreciate her doing all that without help, so out for supper we went.
Back home, and I have the foolish idea that I’m going to catch up on my aimless Intertubz surfing.
My Lord, why hath thou forsaken me?
I’ve been busy lately, and I haven’t been on the computer for recreation much. I’m going to have to make that a habit until the election is over. Here’s a list of the things I have learned reading what passes for the news in 2016 America.
- Trump is the Antichrist.
- Hillary is the Antichrist.
- Trump wants to kill Hillary.
- Hillary wants to start a war with Russia.
- The GOP hates Trump and is out to sabotage him by any means necessary.
- The DNC hates Bernie and sabotaged him using every means at their disposal.
- Bernie is a hypocrite because he bought a $600k house, is third.
- Hillary has a brain tumor/seizure disorder/there’s not a thing wrong with her, it’s Bush’s fault and you’re a racist.
- Trump’s campaign is being sued because one campaign guy in North Carolina allegedly pulled a gun on another campaign guy.
- Trump and Hillary are too old for run for President (but Bernie was older).
- The polls say Hillary will win in a landslide.
- The polls are rigged, they’re ran by the same media that has shown a slavish devotion to the Democrats for 8 years, and Trump is going to pull a Brexit.
I could keep going, but why? I think even a blind pig could find this acorn.
And whatever you do, don’t go on Facebook. Really, just don’t. I’m going on once every few days, and I’ve unfriended and unfollowed until I’m tired of doing it, and it’s still wall-to-wall half-informed (on a good day) people spewing bile about the other side’s candidate that THEY HATE AND WHO IS GOING TO DESTROY THE COUNTRY IF THEY GET ELECTED.
They sad part is both sides just may be correct.
I could desperately use some trigger time, but tomorrow’s weather forecast is for 93 degrees and 93 percent humidity, and I’m not joking. When I was younger I’d have blown that off, but these days I have to take a look at that and say “You know, I have pistols from the last range trip that need cleaning in the nice cool, air conditioned basement,” and go with that instead.
At least it will keep me away from the Intertubz.
1 thought on “There are days”
"Summertime, and the living is easy ….."
Relax. Before you know it, you'll be complaining about the rain.
Then comes the snow:
"The sun is gone, the grass is friz, I wonder where the flowers is?"