The smartest thing I’ve read recently
(From Random Nuclear Strikes)
The 10 Commandments of former Sen. Harry P. Cain:
- You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift.
- You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong.
- You cannot help small men by tearing big men down.
- You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich.
- You cannot lift the wage earner by pulling down the wage payer.
- You cannot keep out of trouble by spending more than your income.
- You cannot further the brotherhood of man by inciting class hatred.
- You cannot establish sound security on borrowed money.
- You cannot build character and courage by taking away a man’s initiative.
- You cannot really help men by having the government tax them to do for them what they can and should do for themselves.